In the book Cirque Du Freak a boy named Darren Shan goes to a circus where people do strange things like eat metal or have such strong hair it can't be cut. Darren and his best friend are in love with horror and vampires. When Darren steals a special spider from the circus his life is changed completely. Darren tries to tame the super poisonous spider but can't and it bites Darrens best friend. What both of them don't know is that Larten Crespley the owner of the spider is a vampire. Darren makes a deal with Larten, to get the cure for the spider bite, but Darren has to become a vampire.
Darren may be a vampire or a half vampire but he still has kept some human traits. Primarily, unlike most vampires, he still feels compassion for humans. He won't drink their blood so he has to only survive on animal blood, which is not as good for him as human blood. He also wants a lot of friends but cannot have any. He tried but always hurts them when he tries to become friends.
Over the course of the book, Darren becomes more like a vampire. Not only does he gain the perks and powers of being a vampire but he has travel the very lonely path of a vampire. He learns that there is a hierarchy amongst vampires and has to attend school to learn his place in vampire society. Like humans, the Vampires have an interesting social structure complete with rules, punishment, and class system, like princes.
This book is really good. It is depressing at some points but you realize how you would rather be human than a vampire. I enjoyed the series very much. It had many shockers which kept the series going. I am happy that I have friends to talk to and that I am not as lonely as Darren. I am thankful that I am not subject to the harsh social structure that the vampires place on lower vampires.
No comments:
Post a Comment