Gabriel Vargas 705 The Revolt of the Evil Faries
The narrator
of the story went to a school where the system was built around a racist hierarchy even within the
same race. His school was an all black school where even the lighter skinned
are better. The narrator was indignant with the schools racist ways. He was angry for not getting his
rightful role in the school play as Prince Charming. Instead, he had to pretend he was happy with his "Head Evil Fairy" part. All of the Evil Fairies had
darker skin and the Good Fairies had light skin. That was why he could not have the part as the Evil Fairies. This story is full with racism and the Evil
Fairies is only a metaphor for how black people are evil and inferior to the lighter skin people.
The
narrator hated that he had to be the Head Evil Fairy and was treated as bad in real life because he was darker. The
narrator hated that he was different because of his skin. But he bared with it despite his oppression.
"There was never any doubt about Prince Charming, they were always light
skinned." That was a quote from a passage that showed even though it was an all black school no one did anything to stop the racism, and that this
discrimination had been going on for a long time.
Prince
Charming! That was the narrator dream role but because of his skin color he
couldn't get this part. He would do anything to get this part even change
himself. "Yes, and I purloined my sister's can of Palmers Skin
Success". I believe this was not a good thing. Why does a kid have to change his skin
to be in a school play. He worked so hard to become a great actor and just because the racism in that
school could he could not. The teachers knew that the Narrator felt the racism was unfair, "the teachers sensed my
resentment". This shows how corrupt and racist their society was. The
teachers noticed that he was angry but if it weren't for the higher class society they would nicer to blacks.
In the end of the book, he
realized something very important. If they don't want
him he doesn't want them. "It's okay I could have never been Prince
charming anyway," he said after got kicked off the play. He became so frustrated with being treated as a lower class that he
fought Prince Charming during the play, Leonardo’s Wright. This resulted in everyone fighting, Good Fairies vs. Evil Fairies. I think that he
was so upset with the whole system that he didn't care because he figured out he could never be Prince Charming because of the deep racism.
Sadly,
the narrator had to deal with the struggles of discrimination in his life. He
despised that the color of his skin puts him in a different levels in an
society. He never could have taken it calmly like Rat Jointer, who said, "if you
black, you black". I'm glad he couldn't be like Rat. He never would
have had his realization and stood up for himself. His realization was that he could never have been in the play of his dreams because of his skin. I am glad that I go to a school where my dreams are not stopped because of my ethnicity. I am Mexican-American, but everyone just knows me as Gabe. When I was reading the story, I wished that the school would just accept the Narrator for who he was, like I am accepted for who I am, not my race.
No comments:
Post a Comment