When I was seven I
moved across the country from Arizona to New York. When we got there I was
afraid. I was scared by the height of the buildings and how their gray shadows
towered over me. Later we went to our apartment. It was nice. We had gotten a
house in Sunset Park. It was okay
we lived across the street from our school.
I
loved school. In the morning standing next to the entrance of the building I
could hear the birds chirping. I
could hear the dogs barking, as a bitter early winter breeze blew in stinging
my face. Sadly the sound of kids
playing was over only the silent pitter-patter as moms rushed their kids. I
quickly joined the group of kids and walked in the entrance. I could smell the
sweet smell of perfume as mothers said goodbye.
Everyday
I would daydream trying to make second grade go by quicker. The bell rung
signaling the end of the day and I left in silence. Time although flew by when
I got home. My mom was in a frantic mood to make her self-look good. It was
strange but funny watching her quickly iron her hair, mumbling under her
breath, and pacing.
Then
I heard a nock at the door. I opened the door with my small grubby hands and
man with a beard and a moustache walked in. He was wearing a fedora, his hair
was a black, and his skin was very dark. My mom walked in front of me and said “Gabriel I would like
you to meet Mike”. I wasn’t stupid
though I knew this was more than a friend. This was a boyfriend. He sat down in
a chair and as the silence was too unbearable I ran around the room and asked
as many questions as I could. Like do you like Pokémon or what’s your favorite
TV show. Mike was surprised how easily I had taken the him in.
I
teased my mom chanting “ Mom and Mike sitting in a tree… KISSING”. I ran to
Mike making kissing noises. His face scrunched into laugh. He was nice I
figured it was going to be fun to have him around. He was playful and fun.
We had dinner and we ordered pizza. We watched Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles and
played. It was a lot of fun.
This
is the first time I met my stepfather!
Haha do you like Pokemon, this was great, I never knew you lived in Arizona before, must have been a big step to go from there to here
ReplyDelete